Monday, December 9, 2013

The Student List: The Top 4 Classes at UK

As a fifth year senior in a five-year program, I have nearly 150 credit hours under my belt here at the University of Kentucky. Believe me when I say that, like the Clint Eastwood movie, I have seen "the good, the bad and the ugly" of a lot of different classes. Sometimes as students we want a little heads up on what the “fun” classes are, and we don’t always know what’s out there for us to take. What I would like to share with you are some of my favorite class experiences. I have put together a list of 4 of my all time favorite courses that are available to everyone to take (no prerequisites needed).  I hope that you read the following course list and consider these options as you create your future schedules:

4.Introduction to Floral Design (PLS 240)
Why it made the list: Anyone who has a creative side, wants to learn more about plants, likes event planning, or simply has a passion for floral arrangements should take this course. It is a great class to take amidst my busy senior schedule. This course allows me to relax a little and focus on my creativity.  In this course, my professor, Sharon Bale, discusses the key elements to creating boutonnieres, corsages, bouquets, and table arrangements. Don’t worry gentlemen, the class is composed of roughly 30% guys, so don’t be afraid to sign up! Want to know the best part of the class? You get to keep just about everything you make! I don’t know about you, but I’ve had fresh cut flowers in my kitchen all semester. This course has rightfully earned a number 4 spot in my countdown of favorite classes

 
3.  Any International Study Abroad Program (ISP 599)
Why it made the list:  Alright, so I know that this isn’t a specific course, but hear me out! I attended my first study abroad trip this summer through the landscape architecture department and had an absolute blast. Not only did I get to eat delish food, walk the streets of three different countries, and experience South American culture, but I got to do it as school credit! What better way to learn than getting out of the classroom and exploring the world?  

2. Living on the Right Side of the Brain (LA 111)
Why it made the list: I took this course in the spring of 2011, and have never wanted to take a class twice more in my school career. This course helps students tap into their creative side and put it to good use. You don’t have to be naturally creative to take this class; all you need is a willingness to try. Ryan Hargrove, the professor of this course, does an excellent job of getting everyone involved and harnessing the creativity and imagination of every individual class member. This course includes things like keeping a creativity journal, watching inspirational videos, group discussions, and providing feedback on a class blog.
Warning: This class will require you to think outside the box and be open with your inventive ideas.

1. Wine Appreciation (GEN 300) 
Why it made the list: For many reasons this has become my favorite class at the University of Kentucky. Now, I know most of you are thinking I like the course because I get to drink wine for a grade. Although that is enjoyable, it is far from the truth. Let me take you back a couple years. As a third year landscape architect student we were required to create a mock winery on an existing plot of land. We did our research by visiting neighboring wineries, and learning about vineyards through guest speakers. We were required to determine the type of soil, climate, slope and other key elements that were conducive to the growth of grape vines. That’s where my interest in vineyards and wine production began. When an email came saying that this class would be available for the first time ever this fall, I seized the opportunity to further my interest.
            In this course taught by professor Michael Barrett, we learn all about wine, from grapes growing on the vines, to the time it is bought and drank by the consumer. Half of the class is a lecture based. This is where we learn about the different types of wines, where they are grown, wine production, and overall characteristics of different grape varieties. The second half is a wine tasting, followed by a discussion of the things we had previously read and learned about in the lecture portion. Honestly, No class has made me want to read the required text book more than this class, making it my favorite class at the University of Kentucky.
Side Note: You must be 21 or older to take this class.


Well there it is folks, 4 of my favorite classes at UK. I hope that in your future you are lucky enough to get into these amazing classes!

Hillary is from Cincinnati, Ohio and is a Landscape Architecture senior.

No comments:

Post a Comment