Friday, September 9, 2011

I'm Seeing Blue.....

Gabe, The Wildcat, & Tatum at the Paducah See Blue Preview Night!


UK just started a few weeks back and I feel like there is so much that has been going on!  I am one of the UK Ag Ambassadors and we have hit the ground running.  Last week kicked off UK See Blue Preview Night season, and this week ambassadors are busy traveling to and from preview nights as well as enjoying the fun and hard work that comes with Ag Roundup Week! We love having our alumni back on the College of Ag’s campus, as well as talking to potential Wildcats!
Speaking of talking to potential wildcats, my fellow ambassador, Gabe, and I, as well as our fabulous and fearless leader Jason Headrick (AKA- Director of Student Relations for the College of Ag), traveled to Preview Night last week in Paducah, KY. Hailing from Murray, I loved getting to speak to students back in the wonderful Western part of our state.
Sometimes I find that students in Western Kentucky are a little more intimidated by UK, since it’s quite the distance from home. I was scared to venture four hours away from home (and into a different time zone!) at first too, but once I started taking classes in the College of Ag I found my home away from home. Not only have I made some great friendships, the College of Ag always has opportunities to get involved- whether it be Block and Bridle, Collegiate FFA, Ag Student Council, or MAT Club (plus many, many more!). We have ambassadors involved in all of the clubs I mentioned, and I think that really helps us relate to future wildcats. It’s easy to dispel the myths that UK is too big or too far, when our average class size is 25 in the College of Ag, and everywhere you go you see a familiar face.
I’ve also been gifted with some very neat opportunities through the College of Ag- like getting to meet Leadership Expert John Maxwell through Grace Gorrell’s Leadership Development class. Students in the College of Ag have also even heard from our famous basketball coach, John Calipari!  The Ag Ambassadors were even able to present him with some chili for lunch!
The family atmosphere and wonderful opportunities have truly made my three years in the College of Ag at UK great. As I start my fourth and final year, I can only hope that future Wildcats can take full advantage of the opportunities I’ve been given. I love sharing my feelings about our big family over at the College with potential students. If the UK Crew is coming to a town near you (and I bet they are!), come out and say hello, and ask the Ag Ambassadors why they love UK Ag so much!
Tatum
Public Service & Leadership Senior


UK See Blue Preview Night Schedule

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment