Thursday, October 4, 2012

Get Involved! Find Your Niche!




As a junior in the College of Agriculture, I often think back to advise that was given to me as an incoming freshman. One piece of advice that I heard over and over again was how important it was to get involved on campus. I took that advice to heart and looking back I’m so glad I did. As soon as I started college, I joined, in my opinion, one of the best clubs on campus. I joined Block and Bridle.  

Block and Bridle is an animal science based club in the College of Agriculture. Although it is animal science based, it is open to all majors in the college of agriculture. Block and Bridle members participate in many fun activities throughout the year. Members put on a small version of the North American International Livestock Exposition called Little North American. This is where new members of the club choose a species of animal, such as cattle, sheep, or dairy cattle, that they have never shown before and display their showing abilities. This is always an activity that new and old members look forward to every year.
Another fun activity that members look forward to each year is “feeds week”. Block and Bridle members are responsible for cooking three of the meals during College of Agriculture Roundup. On Thursday and Friday of UK Ag Roundup week, Block and Bridle members are up at 6:30 in the morning to start the grills. Although it’s early we always have a good turnout of members to help cook and serve. Members enjoy hanging out during that time and having a blast. We even had the opportunity this year to serve President Eli Capilouto!
We also help out with the Kentucky Beef Expo held in Louisville every March. Members are given the opportunity to work hand in hand with Kentucky Department of Agriculture employees. It is a great opportunity to build relationships that may turn into future jobs.
As an ambassador for the College of Agriculture I always give students the same advice I was given- GET INVOLVED! There are a ton of clubs and organizations in the college of agriculture so, whether it’s a sorority/fraternity or another club of your interest it’s important to be involved. Students who get involved tend to be happier in school and tend to make better grades.  I have met some of my best friends by joining Block and Bridle. I also feel like I have made many contacts that could help with future jobs and my career. 

Shelby is studying Agricultural Education.  She is from Cynthiana, KY.  She is involved in Block and Bridle and is an Ag Ambassador.   

 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that getting involved is a key part of enjoying college! Being involved in clubs is what keeps me sane! I love meeting new people and always having something to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree; joining clubs and other activities is what makes college fun and exciting. I mean, how many memories will we have of sitting in english class? Probably very few. But of Block and Bridle? Tons!

    ReplyDelete