Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fall is Fun & Fantastic!



Fall.  The weather is cooling down from summer, the leaves are changing, and midterm season is upon us. While a stressful time in the classroom, there are plenty of ways to reward yourself for a good grade, or to take a break from studying. I love the colors of the trees and the leaves floating through the breeze on my walks to class. The beauty of the season is almost too good to be true; so why spend your time inside studying when you can be outside studying or relaxing outside? UK and the city of Lexington has plenty to offer during the fall months when the weather is beautiful, or on a gloomy day when you want to have fun inside.


Photo: I love Fall! :)))The UK Opera Theatre just presented The Phantom of the Opera at the Lexington Opera House. I must admit, I have never been to an Opera, and I didn’t get to attend this one, but the reviews were excellent.  It is on my bucket list and hopefully I can attend one of their future productions!  http://www.ukoperatheatre.org/  

Football season is my favorite time of the year! It is Homecoming Week on campus and there is lots of Wildcat spirit around.  This Saturday, our Wildcats take on the Georgia Bulldogs.  The Wildcats have been improving this season and are hoping for a win against the Bulldogs!  Go Cats!  For more details, check out UK SAB: http://www.uksab.org/  

Big Blue Madness is always a great time as we anticipate the approaching basketball season.  This is the first practice for the Men and Women's Basketball team, as well as an introduction of players to the fans. With anticipation built up from winning the 8th National Championship this past spring, students and fans were eager to see what the new team will look like, with hopes of bringing home banner number 9 this year.  

October also means thoroughbred horse racing at Keeneland.  The fall race meet is October 5-27th, and people from all across Kentucky and the world to watch these horses race, place their bets, and socialize. Make your way down Versailles Road in Lexington and treat yourself to a fun day of friendly betting. 

A lot of you may disagree and call me crazy, but Halloween is my favorite holiday. Take the changing leaves and add those scary decorations and I am a happy girl. Living in a residential neighborhood in Lexington makes this time even more exciting for me as I get to buy candy and wait for the arrival of the different heroes, princesses and little boogie monsters. The record number of trick-or-treaters last year was 32, so we are hoping to surpass that number this Halloween.  If anyone has suggestions on a costume, let me know!

The cooler temps also bring the need for coffee or hot chocolate.  What UK student wouldn't be obsessed with Starbucks when we have 4 locations on campus and other locations throughout the city?  There are also lots of local coffee places around the  Salted Caramel Mocha, and  Pumpkin Spice are just a few of the flavors that they have to offer. Treat yourself to a delicious hot treat and enjoy the fall weather.

However you decide to spend your fall, UK and Lexington has lots of great options.  I hope to see you out and about enjoying all that this time of year has to offer.


Gabrielle is studying Agricultural Education.  She is from Gamaliel, KY.  She is involved in UK Dairy Judging, and is an Ag Ambassador.   

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to admit I didn't like coffee at all before I came to college. I still don't like it that much, but Starbucks does have drinks that are so sweet that you can't even taste coffee! Late nights at the library are often interrupted by a Caramel Frappuccino calling my name! You're right Gabrielle, the fall semester wouldn't be the same without Keeneland, football season, and Big Blue Madness among other events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear if it was Fall all year round, the world would be a much happier place. It's simply gorgeous. The colors are beautiful, the weather is nice, and the food is fantastic. Let's face it, everything is better when it's pumpkin flavored (okay that's my totally biased opinion). There is just so much to do this time of year, even if it's as simple as stopping to enjoy the reds and oranges of the leaves. For all of you reading this that have never been on UK's campus or to Keeneland during the Fall, you are missing out on some sights to behold!

    ReplyDelete