Thursday, October 18, 2012

Internships: That Extra Push



Internships. This word can bring many emotions:  excitement, uncertainness, and anxiety. 

With today’s job market becoming more and more competitive, having an internship on your resume can give you the extra push you may need to land that dream job.  Some people also get the benefit of working for the company they interned with. The best way to start looking for internships is to attend a career fair, just like the one coming up this month at Good Barn. (Note: The UK Ag Career Fair will be held on Tuesday, October 23 from 12 Noon- 4 PM at the E.S. Good Barn.)  Companies come prepared to look for possible interns when they visit college campuses and the representatives are great sources of information. Not only can they tell you about the company, but they can also tell you how they themselves got their current jobs. 

The next place to look is your inbox. The Office of Academic Programs and Advising Resource Center send out numerous emails about companies looking for interns, extension opportunities, and job openings. The UK Career Center also sends out notices.  Some days, I see these emails and they head straight for the trash! (Which I’m sure most of us have been guilty of doing) So, on my search for internships for this upcoming summer, I have been paying more attention to my inbox. Want to get a lot of different intern options? Your advisor and professors are another great resource! They have made connections not only while they were job searching, but also while they have been working for the University! 

Now that you have all of these different intern options, it is time to narrow your search. My personal goal is to have my top internships picked out by Thanksgiving and I will apply to them by Christmas, but you can apply all throughout the spring semester too! Just make sure you know the deadlines to your top picks.  

 I have a few main things I look for while searching for internships. This first is the job type. I would love to do public relations or marketing for an agriculture company. I really enjoy working with people and would love the opportunity to work with producers across the state or country. The second thing I look for is location. I would like to either work for a company within the state of Kentucky or work out West. Getting to explore the area and learn about the people would be half the fun! What company I will be working for is another selling point. I would like to work for John Deere, Monsanto, or Syngenta, but my options are always open. Lastly, I look at whether or not it is paid. Yes, this is point some students forget until they have already gone through the application process. If you are looking for your internship to also be your summer job, make sure you read the fine print. 

Remember to breathe and don’t forget that everyone in the College of Agriculture is here to help you on your search to find an internship you will love! 

 Kellie is studying Agricultural Economics.  She is from Hodgensville, KY.  She is involved in UK Ag Student Council, Agribusiness Club, and is an Ag Ambassador.   

1 comment:

  1. This is great advice Kellie! Internships are so beneficial, especially when there is a good chance that an internship will turn into a job! I'm looking forward to going to the Career Fair on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete