Monday, October 29, 2012

See Blue…and Blue Jackets!!!




When the last full week in October rolls around, memories start flowing back into my mind. Last week,  people from all over the United Sates boarded airplanes or made road trips to Indianapolis, Indiana for the National FFA Convention.  I have been in FFA since I was a freshman in high school and I am still a member to this day.  This years’ National FFA Convention was a special one for me because I received my American Degree, which is the highest degree that an FFA member can obtain. It requires dedication, hard work, and a passion for agriculture. FFA has made an everlasting impact on my life. It has made me the person I am today. Whether I was competing on my chapter’s Parliamentary Procedure Team, saying an impromptu speech, or trying to see if I could meet at least one person from every state, I loved every moment! The words “I believe in the future of agriculture, with a faith born not of words but of deeds - achievements won by the present and past generations of agriculturists; in the promise of better days through better ways, even as the better things we now enjoy have come to us from the struggles of former years…” are permanently implemented in my head, as I’m sure they are for many people. The adrenaline rush that each and every one of you get when you are in the mist of competing is priceless!  
 
                However, you don’t have to be in high school in order to enjoy the atmosphere of convention. Colleges and companies from every part of the United States attend convention in search of students and employees. The University of Kentucky College of Agriculture was there this year in search of blue jackets that want to become a Wildcat! The College of Agriculture Ambassadors and UK Ag Education students worked the UK booth all week.  Not only can people check out colleges that they may be interested in, but college students can look into graduate school or even start networking to line up a job for after graduation.  There are numerous opportunities that are given at the National FFA Convention.  I hope you took advantage of them. Even though I am unable to attend convention as a College of Agriculture Ambassador this year, I know that those who went had a blast!   
As a Kentuckian, I am proud to say that the Convention comes back to Louisville next year!  I hope Louisville is prepared to be flooded with a sea of blue jackets once again! Maybe after their interactions last week and in the years to come, many will want to continue to “see blue.” at the University of Kentucky!

Congrats to Joenelle Futrell & OTHERS on being named a National FFA Officer!
On a side note, we are excited that one of our own Wildcats was chosen to serve as the 2012-2013 National FFA Eastern Region Vice-President.  Joenelle Futrell will serve Kentucky and the nation as she and five other National Officers will lead the 550,000+ member organization for the next year.  During her year of service, she will travel over 100,000 miles and have the opportunity to speak to thousands of FFA members and interact with agriculture, education, and government officials.  She is the eleventh National FFA Officer from Kentucky and the first female National FFA Officer from Kentucky.   Futrell is a member of the Daviess County FFA Chapter and is a junior at the University of Kentucky where she is majoring in Agricultural Education.

 Hanna is a senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in Agricultural Biotechnology.  She is from Chaplin, Kentucky.  Her goal is to attend pharmacy school.  She is involved with UK Block & Bridle, and is a COA Agricultural Ambassador. Hanna also received her FFA American Degree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment