Monday, January 23, 2012

Both Sides of the Fence: Winter Event


Two years ago I remember the excitement that came over me when I attended Winter Event as an incoming freshman. Winter Event is a fun filled weekend for incoming freshman to learn about the College of Agriculture. It is also a time for alumni to get together and witness what is currently going on at their alma mater. There are different activities throughout the weekend where the prospective students have the opportunity to interact with current students and alumni from the College of Agriculture. Students and alumni who attend winter event even get the opportunity to attend a basketball game!
When I decided to attend Winter Event, I was excited to see what UK and especially the College of Agriculture had in store for me. Even though I was a nervous wreck because all of a sudden it was becoming a reality that in a few short months I would be leaving home and starting the next chapter of my life at UK. My major is agriculture education and at Winter Event I enjoyed being able to talk to a professor a little more about the major. I felt like I had a better understanding of what was expected of me come August. I enjoyed Winter Event and I specifically remember the ambassadors being really helpful and answering any questions that were asked of them. 
            This year I had the opportunity to be on the other side of the fence- one of the ambassadors selected to help work Winter Event. It was now my turn to be one of those ambassadors answering everyone’s questions. As I watched the incoming freshman walk in I quickly noticed they had the same look on their faces as I did two years ago.  It made me really excited to be an ambassador and have the opportunity to make their experience a great one.
            Not only is winter event an event for incoming freshman it is also a reunion for AG and HES Alumni. My parents and grandparents are all alumni of the College of Agriculture and they look forward to Winter Event every year. They enjoy getting to reminisce with other alumni from the college. I enjoy seeing everyone interact. It is both fun and interesting for me to hear stories from the alumni about what life was like when they were students in the College of Agriculture. It makes me proud to be a UK student and excited to one day be an alumnus of this wonderful “family” of Ag students!     

Shelby C.,
College of Agriculture Ambassador
Agricultural Education Major
Class of 2014

2 comments:

  1. Winter Event was so exciting! Unlike Shelby, I didn't go to Winter Event before I started my journey at UK. However, I really wish I would've because it would have gave me the chance to meet some of the people that I now call my best friends. I was privileged to attend Winter Event this year as an Ag. Ambassador. It was awesome to see all of the excitement and curiosity in the eyes of the incoming freshmen. I can already tell that we will have numerous new shining stars in the College of Agriculture next fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is great, Shelby! I did not attend Winter Event when I was in high school and have always had a prior obligation since becoming an ambassador. But, I have always heard how awesome Winter Event is for everyone who attends. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete