Tuesday, April 24, 2012

NYC was okay by me


What a CRAZY past couple of weeks!  As the school year creeps closer and closer to ending, I feel like I am getting busier and busier. Within the past few weeks I have taken two amazing trips out of town!

 As a member of the UK women’s club volleyball team, we took a trip to Kansas City, Missouri for our final national tournament.  We had a blast playing against schools from all over the country, and when we weren’t playing we got a chance to enjoy what the city had to offer. By joining a club team, I have met so many great friends, and become more involved.  I can’t wait for our season to start up again in the fall!

My classmate Charlie & I eating cannolis in Little Italy.
I also just got back from my class trip to New York City.  As landscape architecture students, our studio class takes an educational, five-day, trip to a different location each spring.  This year our class voted on going to New York.  Although New York left my bank account near empty, it was an awesome experience. I have never been to NYC before, so I was astounded to see how extraordinary it truly was. While we were there, we studied things that pertain to our major like parks, plaza spaces, markets, urban agriculture and the way people navigate through different public spaces.  We got to see places that we have talked about in class before, such as Paley Park, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Madison Square Garden, and Battery Park City. Of all the places our class went, I would have to say that Central Park was my favorite.  It was amazing to see the scale of such an amazing park and how it accommodates so many people and so many different activities. While we were in New York we even got to tour two landscape architecture firms and view some of their work! It was a trip of a lifetime, to say the least. 
If you’re headed to the "Big Apple" soon, have a slice of pizza for me at Grimaldi’s Pizzeria in Brooklyn!

Hillary is a junior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in Landscape Architecture.  She is from Cincinnati, Ohio.  Hillary is a member of the UK Club Volleyball Team and is a COA Agricultural Ambassador.   

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like the LA majors know how to travel. It's always exciting to see the many places you can go while in school as part of your major or clubs you're involved in.

    ReplyDelete