Monday, April 9, 2012

The best decision of my life


While many college students were headed south to the beaches for Spring break, I was heading south for a different reason. Over spring break, I headed to the University of Arkansas to visit their graduate program. During my visit I was presented with the question of why I was interested in graduate school and why at Arkansas. Seemingly this should be a simple answer, but I found myself questioning how I had ended up in Fayetteville.  

To answer this question I had to first decide how I ended up at the University of Kentucky in Lexington for my undergraduate studies. This was a little easier to answer, as hindsight is usually 20/20. After high school I knew I wanted to attend college and to study animal science, with a goal of becoming a veterinarian. This goal changed, not due to struggles with organic chemistry, but changed over time with the many alternative options that were presented to me while attending UK.

I chose the University of Kentucky over several other schools for several different reasons. The first being the larger scholarship opportunities, which was an important part of my decision as my family could offer little monetary support. The second most instrumental characteristic of UK that led me to choose it was the appeal of the large university opportunities with the small family atmosphere in the College of Agriculture.

As my fourth year at the University of Kentucky comes to a close I have come to realize what I have managed to accomplish with the help of the faculty and staff at the University of Kentucky. In four years, I will have traveled to 13 states, 2 foreign countries, and completed an undergraduate research project. The professors inspired me, helped me, and guided me through what I will remember as the best time of my life.

It was these opportunities and guiding efforts that led me twelve hours away to Arkansas where I will be studying to earn a Masters of Science in Agricultural Economics.  So how did I end up in Fayetteville, Arkansas? I am there because of the education and experiences I gained while attending the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture.  In less than one month, I will be graduating. I will sit with my peers and friends of four years as we accomplish one more milestone. Regardless of the struggles or successes we have experienced, my four years spent at the University of Kentucky has been one of the best decision of my life. 

- Hannah S.


 Hannah is a senior at the University of Kentucky, double majoring in Agricultural Economics & Animal Sciences.  She is from Winchester, Kentucky.  Hannah will be beginning her graduate school career in August.  She is a member of UK Block & Bridle, a past member of the UK Livestock Judging Team, and is a COA Agricultural Ambassador.  

No comments:

Post a Comment