Thursday, February 7, 2013

Lessons Learned



When I tell people I am an out-of-state student, a lot of people assume that I am trying to get away from my family and small town because I don’t enjoy it, or because I am not happy there. That could not be further from the truth. 

Kelsey and fellow members at the UK Little North American held by UK Block & Bridle
I am from a small town in Ohio, where the largest intersection is a two-way stop. The town is made up of a gas station and a post office. There isn’t a lot to do, but there is enough for me. I was born and raised on a family farm that is run by my grandfather, father and uncle. I have learned more from those three men than anyone else in my life. A lot of people see the farm, or hear that I live on a farm and they just don’t get it. It’s not just about the land and the tractors; it’s about the lessons and the laughter. Being raised as a farm kid is the best gift I have ever received.

So, I ask you this, why in the world would anyone want to get away from that and find something better. I left my small town life to come to Lexington and study at the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture because it was what was best for me. My first visit to Lexington and I knew this is where I was going to study. The atmosphere, the people, that opportunities, and best of all the excellent education I knew I would receive. No, it’s not home, but it’s pretty close. 

It is difficult to be hours away from my home for long periods of time, but the friends and the memories I have made here at the University of Kentucky make it a lot easier. It is important to get involved while on a college campus, and the University of Kentucky and the College of Agriculture make that easy. There are always groups to join and events to attend. While academics and studying are important, college is also about learning who you are and having new experiences. It’s about putting yourself out there and meeting new people, who could have a huge impact on your life. You never know who you might meet that could potentially open new doors down the road. 

Being a college student takes guts, but being an out-of-state student or a student that isn’t close to home takes heart. I have my struggles from time to time, but what helps me through them is knowing that at the end of this journey lies the opportunities that I have only dreamed about. The once in a lifetimes, the dream jobs, and the accomplished goals. 

Even though I am far from my family and I miss them every day, I have a piece of them with me. I have the determination and the attitude to achieve my dreams, lessons learned from my small town life. 

Go Big Blue!
 Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment