Friday, March 8, 2013

A Whole New World....



Recently some ag ambassadors went on a journey across the world to the Mediterranean.  Well, at least we were there in theory.  

As part of International Food Night, we went to Oasis Restaurant in the Chevy Chase Place here in Lexington. We try to get a taste of other cultures whenever and wherever we can. The Mediterranean night was a quaint, but very fun time and also quite the experience for me.
         
Being in Oasis, and even a Mediterranean restaurant for the first time, I had no clue of what I was getting myself into. When I looked at the menu, I'm pretty sure I looked like a kid in a candy store. There were so many options and I really wanted to try them all. As we were chowing down on some hummus and pita bread, Jason (our ambassador advisor) and Leslie (a fellow ambassador) were giving the rundown on the menu like they were "Ranean" experts. I debated for the longest if I should get the Schawarma Mix or start simple with a Pita-Wich. Schawarma is a meat of choice that is grilled on a spit for long periods of time, then shaved and served. I decided to go with a lamb kabob pita-wich. Leslie ordered what seemed like miniature, hard donuts. They were actually called falafels and they are mainly grounded fava beans that are then deep-fried. We also had a past ambassador join us for dinner. We had a grand ole time.

It should be a personal goal for people to try different types of food. You never know what you like until you try. We started international food night because it is very common to see students eating cheeseburgers, chicken fingers, and the all time favorite- pizza. It's important to keep in mind that you will be pushed to do things out of your comfort zone and that's exactly what I did. Who ever would of ever known that I would like Mediterranean food? Jason always emphasizes that keeping an open mind will help us in our careers in the future. I think that it is good to have a diverse background of foods. That falls under the category of being a well-rounded individual. Tasting other foods also helps you appreciate other cultures. Knowing about foods of other cultures will can keep you connected in a small way to other backgrounds. All foods have a specific meaning to most cultures. By experiencing those foods that could link us together more on common ground. No telling where the ambassadors will land next for International Food Night. 

And if the title of the blog entry had you humming, check this video out for the song that is running through your head.

 
 Until next time,
 Ya ssas!
 (Good-bye in Greek)

Kenyatta

No comments:

Post a Comment