Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Down on the farm...UK Style



Many students go through college wondering how they are going to pay for their books or everyday expenses.  The College of Agriculture here at the University of Kentucky has plenty of opportunities for students to earn money through work-study.  I was hired on at the University’s Oran Little Research Farm in Woodford County at the beef research center when I was a sophomore.  I didn’t know it at the time but it was the beginning of many opportunities that I never knew I would have.

            Working at the Beef Unit at the farm in   Work days start at 6:30am (if it works with your schedule) and normally end around 3:30 pm. When I first started I thought working so early was terrible because I wasn’t used to getting up quite that early.  Once I got in the routine of getting to work at that time making any 8:00am class was easy, and I feel like I get so much more accomplished during the day when I get up early.   For those who can’t make it to work this early they are very good about working around school schedules because they know that academics come first.
Versailles for three years has really changed my life.
Not only has it impacted my life in this fashion, but also working at the beef unit has taught me a whole lot more than I could have ever learned in a classroom.  I grew up on our family farm and thought I knew the ins and outs about cattle, but I was wrong.  Working at the university’s farm has helped educate me about different feed rations, genetics, cross-breeding, reproduction, etc. and has given me the chance to work first hand with the animal research professors.  I have been able to take things that I learn at work home and practice them on my own farm.
One thing that most college students find hard is being organized and meeting deadlines.  Having to prioritize my working schedule with my school schedule and all the other extra curricular activities I am involved in has helped me prepare for the real world after graduation.  Being responsible and having time management skills is two key components when being successful in a career and I feel like my experience working through college farm has helped me develop these two skills.  One other thing that my administrators really push is for me to take initiative and do things before I’m told to, and I know this will help me be successful once I enter my career field.
Working at the beef unit at the Woodford County farm has introduced so many new opportunities to me that I never would have had otherwise.  I have met great people who have become some of my best friends, made several good contacts for future references, I’ve also learned an incredible amount about beef cattle, grown as an adult, and best of all I got paid to do all of this.  As a student entering the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture I would strongly recommend trying to find employment at one of the research farms.  There are a variety of different positions such as mine working at the beef cattle unit to working with dairy cattle and even poultry, and of course being in Kentucky we cannot forget about the horses. 
If your thinking about coming to UK and don’t want to leave the farm, don’t be worried there are plenty of opportunities to get back to the farm and be involved with the university at the same time.  Hopefully you won’t let the thought of moving away from home scare you because there are tremendous opportunities and people here at the University of Kentucky.

Cody is a senior graduating with a double major in Agricultural Economics and Community & Leadership Development.  

No comments:

Post a Comment