Monday, September 10, 2012

It’s the Little Things



In life, there’s always something that keeps you from moving forward.  For me, it’s the little things.  Like writing this blog.  I sat down many times to write it, but I didn’t know what to write about.  Or going for a run.  I wanted to run, but I didn’t have any clean socks.  These are the little things that are easy to fix- but that keep me from progressing.  Word of advice:  Don’t get caught up on the little things!  I feel much better when I can accomplish the things that I want to get done.  

An easy way to prevent a halt in your work  is to be prepared.  Think ahead when you start something and take time to plan.  For example, as I was going to sit at my computer to write the blog I should have been thinking about what I was going to write about.  Or, when I put on my last pair of clean socks I should have thought about doing laundry and planned a time to do so.  Then I would have clean socks the next time I needed them.  

This can easily translate into school work.  To make sure that we are progressing in our classes and exams, we need to be prepared.  Make sure that you know when things are due and when you have exams.  A planner is a great way to keep track.  Study a little bit at a time, instead of cramming the night before.  I heard once that for every hour you are in the classroom you should study 2-3 hours outside the classroom.  Studying for a few minutes a day may seem insignificant, or a little thing, at the time but when you get to the day before the exam you will feel much more prepared and significantly less stressed!

As you are reading this, I hope you learn that the little things should not prevent you from moving forward.  But let’s be honest.  You’re probably not doing something right now because of a minor bump in the road!  Make your own list of your “small things” and don’t get bogged down this semester.  Let’s do this Wildcats!

Marissa 

 
Marissa is a seniors studying an individualized curriculum in Sustainable Agriculture.  She is from Morrow, Ohio.  Marissa is a member of the UK Sustainability Council & an Ag Ambassador.   Ambassador.   

1 comment:

  1. This is great advice, Marissa! I definitely am guilty of letting the little things get to me. I should focus more on the big things and enjoy life; instead of stressing out!

    ReplyDelete