Friday, November 16, 2012

A different kind of classroom



Have you ever wondered what it would be like to attend class absent of other students and a lecturing professor? Take away tests, papers and homework assignments that not only stress you out, but can destroy your sleep schedule. Internships give you the opportunity to learn in a different type of classroom setting. While the work element will never be eliminated from earning credits to complete graduation requirements, there is a way to switch up your traditional classroom.
This fall semester, I have been given the opportunity to gain experience in the field of public relations by completing an internship at the University of Kentucky Agricultural Communications Services. I’m constantly on my toes with different assignments that I am responsible for.  I still have deadlines, responsibilities and expectations from my supervisors, but they are right there to guide me every step of the way. I have great role models who help me any way that they can, whether they help answer questions that I have or take the time of their day to teach me a new skill. Every single day is a brand new experience.
I have been able to step out of my comfort zone and do things that I never imagined would be possible as a student. So far I have been given the opportunity to write news stories, edit radio recordings and I even experienced getting to interview individuals at the Career Fair for a video production. Along with the other intern, Breanna, we will work on editing the video production and watch the project transform from start to finish. It’s a type of curriculum that helps me practice all of the skills that I learned in required courses that I once thought I would never use again.
Interning in an area of your interest is the key to getting the most out of an internship. Just like any future career, if you don’t enjoy it today, you will most likely not enjoy that career many years down the road. Getting to walk into the office and take on different daily tasks at Ag Communications keeps everyday interesting. No filling up empty mugs with dark coffee, running errands or copying large amounts of material are considered as my daily tasks. I’m getting real hands on experience.  
I enjoy being able to get a feel for the light at the end of the tunnel after enduring a lot of courses during the past three years. Don’t take for granted any opportunity to learn. This internship has proven to me that you will never stop learning, even after you graduate.
Keep in mind that you will be graduating with many individuals who will be going after the same goals as you. What will you do to set yourself apart? Internships provide you the skills that many of your fellow peers may not have. They are work, but internships are the key to the door of opportunity that you have been working so hard for. I’m glad I took this great opportunity, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the semester has in store for me! 

 Amber is a senior from Springfield, Kentucky.  She is a Community Leadership & Development major and is involved in Alpha Zeta.  She will graduate in May 2013.

1 comment:

  1. Amber, love your post!! So nice to hear that you're doing something you love! I remember freshman Amber stressing out in the dorms because she hadn't found her niche yet! So happy for you! - Hillary Barron

    ReplyDelete