Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Thankful Wildcat


This statement was taken from the University of Mount Union's blog &
couldn't be more true.

This week many students across campus are heading home for the holiday break, and the holiday season itself has really made me think about everything that I am grateful for. My college experience is definitely such a blessing- and what has made it so special- in particular, is my time in the College of Agriculture at the University of Kentucky. Agriculture has always been a passion of mine, and for every question and passion that I have had related to agriculture, I have found a class or an organization that helps me further explore my interests in agriculture. So during this time of thanksgiving, I’d like to go through a few of the reasons why I chose the College of Ag at UK, and the many things that I am grateful for within UK Ag.  

When I began applying to colleges I had a rather large list of things I wanted to have- a great academic program, opportunities for jobs, the opportunity to meet new people in social outlets, hands-on-experience within my program, and a great campus. After visiting UK’s College of Agriculture, and attending the college for about two years now, I realize that everything I could have wanted in a college is right here. I am thankful for small class sizes where the professor knows my name and I know I can talk to them any time. I am thankful for a hands-on program with a fantastic farm that I can access for labs and to further extend my knowledge of agriculture. I am thankful for the numerous clubs and activities within the College of Agriculture that allow for me to meet other people within the college of agriculture, and enjoy my time in college. I am grateful for the professors who teach the classes within the college of agriculture; who are knowledgeable about the subjects they teach and want to help students succeed. I am thankful for the jobs and internships that the College of Agriculture attracts everyday that will help me secure a job after I graduate and prepare for my future endeavors. I am thankful for my advisor, who meets with me every semester to make sure I am on track with my classes and offers helpful suggestions to continue to support me in my journey through college.
Overall, there’s a lot to be thankful for in life- family, friends, and for me, my education at the University Of Kentucky College Of Agriculture. I hope during this holiday season that you will enjoy being around family and friends, and take time to think about what you are thankful for. If you are preparing for college, it may also be a time to really consider what you are looking for in your college experience, and what you want to one day be thankful for. I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving and we hope to see you soon here at UK!
 
Veronica is a junior majoring in Equine Science & Management.  She is from Annapolis, Maryland.   She is a Resident Advisor with UK Housing and an Ag Ambassador.

2 comments:

  1. It is so easy to get caught up in how busy we are and lose track of what we are thankful for the most. The College of Agriculture has not only helped me build my academic background, but I have also been able to help grow as a person. Thank you to all the faculty and staff in the College of Agriculture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reminded again just a few days ago of just how great the faculty and staff is at the College of Agriculture when a professor sent me an email over the weekend to clarify an assignment she was grading. She took the time to email me personally and clarify to make sure I had the assignment perfect- and did this on the weekend no less. It just showed me again, how much the professor really care about your success as a student, which is something that I am so grateful for.

    ReplyDelete